Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Stereotyping?

A post in response to Barbie Furtado’s Brazilian Wax is NOT Mandatory.

It's intriguing how one way or another we end up stereotyping peoples and their cultures - why does it happen? Have you noticed that our grannies and grandpas were much more aware of the world and its individualities than we are nowadays? What has happened to that subject we used to be taught at school - 'Human Geography'? I wonder if this is also part of other countries' schools curriculum and how deep into other cultures they go. I think this subject is paramount.

As an English teacher I try my best to dive into what we call 'Intercultural Approach' and provide my students with a little culture input as I believe culture and language can't really be dissociated. It's a challenge, though; as Veronica pointed out here, students just DON'T KNOW... And this is so sad!

It's true the internet has brought the world closer, but it has also made things much simpler, easier and faster and I guess this feeling of having everything within the click on a mouse has led to a lazy behavior: we don't actually DO RESEARCHES anymore - Google does it for us. So, when it comes to whatever doubt we come across, we just type it, hit a button and it's there!

This lack of involvement with the seek for knowledge turns us into forgetful people and we end up learning less than in the times when we would sit at a table with lots of books and encyclopedias and read them thoroughly.

Nowadays, our short term memory relies on our mobile's address book… And we are from a period in time when we could keep names and facts easily – what about this new generation?

I have NOT done any research on whatever topic I raised in this piece – this is just a personal reaction.

Prix. =)

5 comments:

  1. Yup, I totally agree with you on people just don't DO RESEARCHES anymore, and I think that's sad :(

    I never did any research for my blog, either, it was just my personal experience and observation of the people around me :)

    Thanks for the lovely response, Prix. I wish how to pingback this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right, Prix. Everything is so easy nowadays, and so readily available. Makes the effort "a waste of time." I see it as a missing out on so many learning opportunities...

    Gr8 post. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misconceptions is not the same as stereotyping, though. And while I do agree that stereotyping shouldn't turn into immovable prejudice, I have traveled and met foreign people enough to see what a HUGE impact cultures and nations have on individuals.

    I was once waiting near the Pigalle subway station in Paris. It's a very touristic area, and most people walking by were foreigners. I decided to play a little game: guess by their looks where the people came from, and then check when they got close enough for me to hear the language. Russians, Germans, Scandinavians, Poles... I got 10/10.

    Even now that I am in Canada, I can recognize most French people before they open their mouth. They are just SO. TYPICAL. People do look and act like where they come from. In general, of course.

    What I've described has nothing to do with research, though, but with experience. You can't research what people are like; you have to meet them, and get acquainted with them, maybe even intimate. Sometimes when you have friends from another country, you think the way they are is specific to their individuality. Then later you meet a random person from the same country, and they remind you uncannily of your friend... That's when you realize what I mean.

    And I personally know many people who read Wikipedia pages as a hobby. ;) All is not lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lu and @Barbie,

    Thx girls for commenting!

    When I first started this blog I thought I was never gonna get any comments, since I'm not such a strong write... I really appreciate!

    Thanks again!

    P. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @asiamorela,

    I liked the word you used to talk about the French people you saw in the streets - typical - that is one way of showing you recognize the different cultures and their aspects and you're not just judging by a list of possible characteristics. I'd say this 'typical' nuance would be what defines the various cultures around... And, yes! Not only there is stereotyping, but also lots of misconceptions... And this is just great that people still read wikis for the fun!

    Thanks for stopping by,

    P. =)

    ReplyDelete

Have your say...